Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I've found my calling!

It might have taken me 16 years, but today I found my calling in life!
Today was my first official day as a pony horse!  Emily and I hit the track at 8am this morning with another pony horse "Socks" from the barn next door.  We walked onto the track and galloped (cantered) around so I could take in all the sights and sounds of a real racetrack.  As we were galloping (counter-clockwise) around the track, the racehorses were beginning their morning routines as well.  I was surprised to see a racehorse galloping up behind me, but I was more interested in keeping pace with Socks.  Its good practice to be calm on the racetrack, so after our gallop lap we stopped near the gap (the opening to enter the track) and watched the racehorses strut their stuff.  Emily made me stand still (having Socks their helped a lot) and watch so I understood that my job was NOT to gallop at full speed around the track.
 
After a few more trips with our racehorses back and forth from the track to the barns I was beginning to get tired.  I was behaving well on the track so Emily decided it was time to try the real thing and actually pony a horse on the track.
(Emily and I had ponied a few horses around the barns, but we had only ponied at a slow trot.  On the racetrack the point is to get horses in shape for racing....therefore we must gallop while we pony.) 
We walked back to the barn and collected Incendiar (a quarter horse).  He is relatively calm, so he was a good test run for me.  Things were a bit shaky in the beginning, but after I realized my job things calmed down.  Incendiar on the other hand was crazy!  As we galloped he would randomly freak out and buck and kick the air.  He apparently likes running!  He also tried to bite at my neck and almost took a chunk out of Emily's thigh.  He is a goofy boy, thankfully Emily kept him under control and I still have all of my neck!  The three of us galloped 2 laps and then slowed up (making sure to pass the gap before we stopped).  We walked back to the barn, dropped Incendiar off and then headed back to the track with a few more horses to make sure everyone stayed safe.

I was exhausted and worked up quite a sweat.  Emily untacked me and reminded me how good of a boy I was today!  After a quick cool down and brushing I ended my morning by getting my feet trimmed by the farrier!  I felt all sorts of special :-D

It was a great day!  I can't wait until Friday when I can hit the track again with Emily!

No comments:

Post a Comment